Mission Statement: This blog was created to connect people through digital media and to show how different generations can experience new media differently. New media meaning technology such as: Television, the computer, the cell phone, the internet, Facebook, etc. This blog was also created to raise awareness about places that don't have the access we do. Here you can learn about programs that are trying to provide technology in underdeveloped countries. Organizations such as, One Laptop Per Child. So we mustn't take our the access we have for granted. We need to realize there are people all over the world who would probably like to experience technology the way do. Here you can find links for Computer Tech support, a cell phone help forum, Top 100 TV shows and many more things. I hope you have a good experience with the Digital Divide: The Generation to Generation Experience.

What is the Digital Divide?

The Digital Divide is a bridge between people with access and people without access to the newest forms of technology. The digital divide is based on gender, race, culture, location, age, and economic status.

Who has Access & Who Doesn't?

It is very important that we don't take technology for granted. If you have decided to live without major media or can't get enough of it good for you. What if you had to live without technology? I am just saying we need to appreciate what we have. I wonder how people in underdeveloped countries would react to the amount of access and information we have? If they would like it or hate it? The point is that they should have the option to choose how they interact with technology.

Monday, May 3, 2010

30 Year Old Perspective on Media - I am an Addict, A TV Addict!

Name: Katie Rosin-Green   Age: 34

1. What forms of media do you use?  ALL: TV addict, computer, internet, iPhone
2. Does “the media” influence your life? If so in what way? (i.e. my job, my relationships) The media is very important to my life, as I work in the media as a publicist. I am constantly reading up on changes in the media, new blogs, how to utilize twitter/facebook and constant shifting my activities.
3. Can you imagine your life without the following: TV, the internet, cell phones... UM NO!!!!
4. Do you think age effect your understanding of media? If so how? I believe I am somewhere in between the generation that really knows how to use media and the neophytes. I'm lucky because I have a keen sense of what I am doing with technology, but I believe I'm unique.

TV
1. Did you grow up the TV? If, so how has the television influenced your life? I did not grow up with TV. It was highly regulated in my house. But I'm addicted now!! I even watch HULU on my computer.
2. Do you watch TV? Why? If not, why? If so how much? At least 2 hours a day.
3. What about television do you like? Why? I love GLEE (watching it right now), Lost, 24, Brothers & Sisters... well basically anything which provides me an escape from my daily life.
4. What about television do you dislike? Why? I hate commercials, especially when my son is watching.
5. Do you think television is too dominated in determining society? Well, I can't believe reality stars are famous. I can't believe Kim Kardashian is writing a memoir--what has she done with her life?
6. If you didn’t or don’t watch television why? And was it your own decision? When I was younger I didn't but that was not my choice.

Computer/Internet
1. Did you grow up with the computer and the internet? I didn't. I didn't even have email until my senior year in college.
2. What do you use the computer for? I use the computer constantly for work.
3. What websites do you use visit most often? CNN.com, GOOGLE.com
4. What are the reasons behind your usage of those websites? News and search -- both for work. I'm a Google addict, I use gmail for my email and Google docs for work.
5. Do you use Facebook?
            a. Why? I love facebook--I use it to promote my shows, and to keep up with my friends
            b. For What?  I am just starting to use facebook for ads.
6. Do you feel your privacy is safe when using the internet? Unsure...not on facebook--it is certainly not private. I worry about my kids photos being out there!

Print Media
1. Do you read the newspaper? If so how? I read the weekend TIMES--paper. Otherwise, I get my news from the radio or CNN.com.
2. Do you read books? If so how (print or electronically)? The last book I read was on the kindle.
         a. Why do you prefer that method? I loved the ease of use and that it was always around me -- I could read five minutes when I had a moment.
3. Can you imagine a world without newspapers and books in print? Yes, the kindle and iPad will take over!

Blogging
1. Do you know what blogging is? YES
2. Do you blog? If so why? My website is a blog, but not the typical blog. It doesn't speak in the first person. But my Neighborbee blog is! I write a parenting column.
3. What is beneficial about blogs or blogging? I do think blogging helps spread word-of-mouth. If you read a blogger regularly, it is like hearing news from a friend.

School/Job:
1. Job Status (i.e. working, student, retired etc.) Work
2. What do you do? Publicist/Marketer
3. Does the media help or influence your job? If yes, how? YES--I need the media for my work as a PR (Public Relations) and Marketing/Advertising.

Changes in the Media
1. Is there something you wish you change about any medium? If so what? I wish the internet was faster. I wish that messaging wasn't so cloudy. Its very hard to get a message across now, because there are so many other "noises" in the way.
2. Is there something you wish you understood more about the media? What compels one person to be interested in different types of media.
3. Do you have any questions about a certain media or the media you wish you had answered? I wish I could understand Twitter better. I use it but not effectively

No comments:

Post a Comment